Friday, December 10, 2010

Taj Mahal!






I can finally say that I was able to witness one of the seven wonders of the world!  I cannot even begin to describe how magnificent and beautiful this building is and what it represents.  This was built by the Moghul Emperor Shah Jahan and was created in the memory of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal.  This is a true symbol of the eternal love that he had for his wife.

This building is a representation of Persian, Indian and Islamic architecture all combined in one.  The Taj Mahal if built from solid white crystalline marble and precious inlay gemstones and gold!  About 20,000-22,000 laborers worked on creating this masterpiece for 22 years.  They used 1000 elephants to transport the building materials.

The cost for admission into the Taj Mahal is 750 rupees ($16.58 US dollars)

http://www.tajmahal.org.uk/taj-mahal-facts.html
http://www.tajmahal.com/


Agra Fort
 
http://asi.nic.in/asi_monu_whs_agrafort.asp














I met another Couchsurfer!

I was having breakfast at my hotel in Agra by myself where the host seats me next to this lone traveler.  I start to make small talk and I find out he's from the east coast.  His name is Max and he is traveling throughout India for 6 months.  Very cool!  I am always curious to find out how someone can budget for a trip like that and try to find tips on making my journey more inexpensive.  He tells me he is CouchSurfing for most of the 6 months.  

If you can recall, I had my first CouchSurfing experience where a complete stranger hosted my friend Elaine and I in Seoul, Korea in his home.  It was such a welcoming and warm experience.  Running into this lone traveler affirmed that I should try couchsurfing again!!  

I love the fact that people on CouchSurfing are so adventurous, open minded and have a passion for world travel and culture.  It was great meeting you Max! 

CouchSurfer Max and I

4 comments:

  1. omg my dream to visit the Taj Majal. I thought you couldn't wear shoes there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to wear shoe covers in the actual palace or go barefoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldnt love the pictures anymore! they are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Lyn!! It just clicked with me,( literally ) why you named your blog Global Fashionista...I want to let you know before you go any farther how beautiful your clothes are. They are so befitting of the places you have visited thus far. I can't stress enough how much I admire your courage for taking on a venture like this. It's not everyday that we can say we know of someone who has traveled the world. We will definitely have to get together when you return so we can talk of your many ventures you are experiencing right now. I'm sure you know you will have to have some type of gathering so you can get us all together so you can share this in more detail..I love the latest pics and I think meeting Max was simply divine intervention. I'm sure HE has a lot more blessings in store for you as you explore HIS Creations...continued safety my friend, and I look forward to your next stop..peace!!

    ReplyDelete