Sunday, March 6, 2011

Salsa in Waikiki and Couchsurfing with Mike in Waipahu...

Hello friends,

I arrived in Waikiki and stayed at the Aqua Wave Hotel my first night.  I walked around to scope out the salsa scene and found Club Zanzabar.  I met two awesome Guatemalan guys from NY named Chris and his uncle Walter.  They were in Hawaii for two weeks doing a big glass job and making it a "workation" in the process.  I talked and danced with them all night.

Now, I am staying with my CouchSurfing host, Mike.  We have been emailing each other for a few months since India, getting to know each other and becoming friends.

He has been to over 42 countries and has lived all over the world, from Japan to Turkey and now Waipuhu.
I was happy that he was actually in town to host me because at a moment's notice, he often travels for work.  He is such an interesting person to get to know.  He is also fluent in Japanese, rides a Harley, was a former competitive body builder and is basically up to try anything new.    He is such a dynamic and unique character to get to know.

On top of work, he is crazy busy.  He is acquiring his master scuba diver certification and he is getting his masters degree as well.

During my visit with Mike, we had time to hang out at night to share a few meals and I did my own thing during the day.  The weather hasn't been so great here.  It has been raining a lot with major storms that have knocked out the power on some parts of the island.  Mike joked with me and said I'm bringing all of the natural disasters with me.  :(


This is the home cooked meal I made for my host (chicken adobo, steamed rice, green beans with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and rosemary potatoes).

I made him breakfast too (cinnamon french toast, ham and cheese croissants, fresh bananas and delicious papaya  that he picked from his yard.

1 comment:

  1. HEY YOU CAN STAY ON MY COUCH IN NJ ANY TIME JUST SO YOU KNOW

    ReplyDelete